- A Tibetan lama ranking next after the Dalai Lama.More example sentences
- Agya, along with the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama, is a member of the Gelug, or Yellow Hat, sect of Tibetan Buddhism.
- The Dalai only has the right to convene the process and not to designate and install a Panchen Lama himself.
- The current Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, named him Panchen Lama on May 14, 1995.
Tibetan panchen, abbreviation of pandi-tachen-po 'great learned one'; compare with pundit.
More definitions of Panchen LamaDefinition of Panchen Lama in:
- The US English dictionary