noun (plural same or Pedis)
- 1A member of a people traditionally inhabiting the northern region of South Africa.More example sentences
- A small chiefdom of perhaps 10,000 people in the 1870s, based around a strongly fortified village, the Ndzundza sided with the British and Swazi in the conquest of the Pedi in 1879.
- The region considered a traditional home by many rural Pedi is between the Olifants and Steelpoort rivers in South Africa's Northern Province.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Pedi or their language.More example sentences
- The amalaita were Zulu-speakers in Natal, but, in Johannesburg and Pretoria, Pedi youths from the eastern Transvaal formed similar associations.
- One of these churches, the Zion Christian Church, was founded by two Pedi brothers.
- A Pedi speaker, Maepa was one of the first women to become a member of Mapula in 1991, and by 2005 was coordinating the activities of nearly half the women in the project.
from Sotho Mopedi, denoting a member of this people.