- Fine threads of volcanic glass, formed when a spray of lava droplets cools rapidly in the air.More example sentences
- We slip away, hand-in-hand, down to the boats under the rain of pumice and Pele's hair.
- Pele's hair is gold in color and has a diameter of less than half a millimeter.
- Known locally as Pele's hair (for the Hawaiian volcano goddess Pele) it collects in crevices and behind small rocks in the vicinity of an active flow.
mid 19th century: translating Hawaiian lauohu o Pele, Pele being the goddess of volcanoes in Hawaiian mythology.
More definitions of Pele's hairDefinition of Pele's hair in:
- The US English dictionary