Definition of Penutian in English:
Relating to or denoting a proposed superfamily or phylum of American Indian languages, most of which are now extinct or nearly so. Some scholars include certain living languages of Central and South America, principally Mayan and Mapuche, in this group.
- They speak a Sahaptian dialect of the Penutian language family, which is common among other Plateau groups in the mid-Columbia River region.
- Some linguists have categorized it as a Penutian language.
- The Penutian language group of Western America is related to the languages of the Maya and the Zoque of Mesoamerica.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The Penutian family of languages.
- The Costanoans (which means "coast people" in Spanish) spoke Penutian and lived along California's Central Coast.
- Eventually, the people who spoke Penutian arrived.
Definition of Penutian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan