- 1Relating to or denoting the last period of the Palaeozoic era, between the Carboniferous and Triassic periods. See also Permo–Triassic.More example sentences
- Uppermost Permian and Triassic terrestrial sediments conformably overlie the terminal volcanic rocks.
- Similar features have been seen in Permian and Triassic conifer trunks from Antarctica and North America.
- It happened 252 million years ago, at the boundary of the Permian and Triassic geological ages.
The Permian lasted from about 290 to 245 million years ago. The climate was hot and dry in many parts of the world during this period, which saw the extinction of many marine animals, including trilobites, and the proliferation of reptiles
late 16th century: from the name of the Russian province Perm, from the extensive development of such strata there.
More definitions of PermianDefinition of Permian in:
- The US English dictionary