- The numerous areas of lymphoid tissue in the wall of the small intestine which are involved in the development of immunity to antigens present there.More example sentences
- The gut-associated lymphoid tissue includes the appendix and Peyer's patches in the small intestine.
- Regional lymph nodes form part of the secondary lymphoid tissue, which includes organized subepithelial aggregations of lymphocytes, such as Peyer's patches in the gut or bronchus associated lymphoid tissue.
- Our patient's unusual presentation of intussusception was secondary to the mass effect caused by lymphoid hyperplasia, specifically hypertrophied Peyer's patches in the ileum caused by Y enterocolitica infection.
mid 19th century: named after Johann K. Peyer (1653–1712), Swiss anatomist.
More definitions of Peyer's patchesDefinition of Peyer's patches in:
- The US English dictionary