Definition of Phi Beta Kappa in English:
1(In the US) an honorary society of undergraduates and some graduates to which members are elected on the basis of high academic achievement.
- He graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Howard University with a degree in economics after spending his junior year at The London School of Economics and Political Science as a Luard Scholar.
- She earned her B.S. degree in 1937 at the University of Oklahoma, Phi Beta Kappa, and received the Sigma Gamma Epsilon Scholarship Award for Outstanding Senior in Geology.
- After a stint at the State University of New York at Old Westbury, he transferred to Columbia and graduated magna cum laude, with election to Phi Beta Kappa.
1.1A member of a Phi Beta Kappa society.
- She is a Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude graduate of Wellesley College.
- She is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Michigan where she won a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship in American history and economics.
From the initial letters of a Greek motto philosophia biou kubernētēs 'philosophy is the guide to life'.
Definition of Phi Beta Kappa in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.