A member of an ancient people inhabiting northern Scotland in Roman times.
More example sentences
- The kingdom was created by the Gaels of northern Argyll, who advanced up the Great Glen and, with the Norse from Orkney, overcame the Picts in northern Scotland in the 9th cent.
- Hadrian was also known for building a wall to defend Roman Britain from the Scottish Picts to the North.
- First, Scotland was multi-ethnic: Britons, Irish, Picts, English, Norse.
from late Latin Picti, perhaps from pict- 'painted, tattooed' (from pingere 'to paint'), or perhaps influenced by a local name.
Pictish adjective& noun
- More example sentences
- These drawings have been assumed to be Viking, but the style of carving is Pictish.
- Other finds included a whalebone weaving comb, and the earliest black-painted Pictish pebbles yet found, dating to about 100 BC.
- The curved style of the walls suggest that this earlier structure dates from the 8th century and could be the remains of a Pictish monastery.
Definition of Pict in:
- The US English dictionary