Definition of Pinot in English:
1Any of several varieties of wine grape, especially the chief varieties Pinot Noir, a black grape, and Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris, white grapes.
- They're using a gamut of grapes, from Grenache and Syrah to Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Important grapes grown here are Merlot, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Muscat, and Sémillon.
- The fog-filled Russian River Valley is made up of 11,000 acres devoted heavily to Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Zinfandel.
1.1A wine made from Pinot grapes.
- On the one hand there are stylish Rieslings and Scheurebes with high acidity, and on the other an increasing supply of interesting wines from the Burgunder, or Pinot, family.
- But the Orogeny, an earthy, Burgundian-style Pinot, answered virtually every dish with aplomb.
- It features a Pinot Gris, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir, all at about the $20 mark.
French, denoting a type of vine, variant of earlier Pineau, diminutive of pin 'pine' (because of the shape of the grape cluster).
Definition of Pinot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.