- A former genus name applied to some fossil hominids found in Java in 1891. See Java man.More example sentences
- Among the early additions were the Pithecanthropus fossils (the so-called Java man) from a human-sized hominid with heavy brow ridges and a brain of intermediate size.
- During a dig on the island of Java, he discovered the first fossils of a Pithecanthropus erectus.
- This ‘Java or Solo man’ was named Pithecanthropus erectus, which means ‘upright ape man’.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek pithēkos 'ape' + anthrōpos 'man'.
More definitions of PithecanthropusDefinition of Pithecanthropus in:
- The US English dictionary