Definition of Plecoptera in English:
1An order of insects that comprises the stoneflies.
- Hedriumichnus may therefore have been produced by a nymph of a primitive Ephemeroptera (Mayflies; the lobes representing abdominal leglets), or Plecoptera (Stoneflies; the lobes representing globular gills).
- One small brown insect that I first thought might be some type of Plecoptera or Neuroptera quickly revealed itself to be a webspinner (Embioptera).
- Hedriumichnus, known only from the Robledo Mountains, is interpreted as the resting trace of a nymph of a primitive Ephemeroptera or Plecoptera.
1.1 (plecoptera) Insects of the order Plecoptera; stoneflies: the gills of most plecoptera
More example sentences
- Plecoptera are thought to have a relationship with the Orthopteroid-Plecopteroid assemblage.
- Analysis of the databases shows that the Plecoptera are at a much better level of determination than the Ephemeroptera.
plecopteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- In many of the bootstrap analyses, node A is disrupted because the long plecopteran branch joins with the long collembolan branch, and this attraction is reduced under the more complex models.
- The taxonomic diversity of the IKIP plecopteran specimens identified to date consists of 21 species belonging to 15 genera in 6 families.
- The plecopteran fauna was studied by means of slit traps and hand net during the summers of 1982-1987.
Definition of Plecoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan