- Relating to or denoting a type of volcanic eruption in which a narrow stream of gas and ash is violently ejected from a vent to a height of several miles.More example sentences
- Plinian eruptions are those that are dominated by a plume of hot gas and ash.
- The June 1991 Mount Pinatubo eruption produced voluminous pyroclastic flows and a major Plinian umbrella cloud during its paroxysmal phase.
- Plinian eruptions are marked by columns of smoke and ash extending high into the stratosphere.
mid 17th century: from Italian pliniano, with reference to the eruption of Vesuvius in ad 79, in which Pliny the Elder died.
More definitions of PlinianDefinition of Plinian in:
- The US English dictionary