Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of Pomo in English:
noun (plural same or Pomos)
1A member of an American Indian people of northern California.
- Rohnert Park residents recently used that false complaint against the 600 Miwoks and Pomos of the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria, who are trying to build a casino just outside the city.
- At least one tribe, the Pomo, decorated their baskets with local seashells and feathers.
- Her grandparents lived in a complex biocultural mosaic, from the Alutiq and Tlingt to the north to the Pomo and Wappo to the south.
2Any of the languages of the Pomo.
- This seems to be the interpretative strategy which is actually at work in Eastern Pomo, Lenakel, and Amele, as mentioned above.
- On the other hand, the use of DS markers to register the same subject has been reported for Choctaw, Northern Pomo, and Yuma.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Pomo or their languages.
- Lawmakers can now put off until December or January consideration of the deal with the Lytton Band of Pomo Indians that would have allowed 2,500 slot machines at the proposed San Pablo casino.
- Watch for the glint of an obsidian arrowhead, a reminder that Pomo Indians once lived and hunted here.
- Two hundred years ago this country supported huge grizzlies, Tule elk, and Wappo and Pomo Indians - all driven out by the Spanish missionaries and ranchers and their Anglo successors in the mid-19th century.
From Pomo phōmō phóʔmaʔ 'dweller at the red-earth hole'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.