Definition of Portuguese in English:
Relating to Portugal or its people or language.
- His first task on arriving in Mozambique was to do a Portuguese language training course so he could converse with the local people.
- South of the river, in the Zambezi Valley, the people adopted Portuguese dress, language, and religion to a larger extent.
- It seems to be that they concentrate on particular projects and ones that deal in Portuguese language only.
noun (plural same)Back to top
1A native or inhabitant of Portugal, or a person of Portuguese descent.
- The Irish are the latest to get on the building bandwagon, which had been dominated by the Italians, Germans and Portuguese.
- The survivors, who are Spanish and Portuguese, are expected to leave for home today.
- He prevented the Danish fleet from falling into French hands and supported the Spaniards and Portuguese in their struggle against Napoleon.
2 [mass noun] The language of Portugal and Brazil, a Romance language spoken by about 160 million people.
- You hear French and Portuguese spoken on the streets a lot.
- It seems there are many dialects of Portuguese spoken in several countries in South America.
- Brazil and East Timor are former Portuguese colonies, and Portuguese is spoken in both.
Definition of Portuguese in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan