- Any of the ancient or medieval vernacular dialects of north and central India which existed alongside or were derived from Sanskrit.More example sentences
- Selected from old Tamil, Prakrit and Sanskrit, the most ancient literary languages of India, this anthology contains 188 poems, many of which we won't even chance upon if our pursuit in poetry isn't for some specific antiquity.
- Many of the children of such mothers would be speaking Sanskrit or Prakrit dialects and Indo-centric in attitude, further influencing flow of literature from India to Greece in successive generations.
- Ancient tongues Tamil and Prakrit are rich with literary contributions from the Jain monks.
from Sanskrit prākṛta 'unrefined, natural'. Compare with Sanskrit.
More definitions of PrakritDefinition of Prakrit in:
- The US English dictionary