A kingdom or large grouping that is either synonymous with the Protista or equivalent to the Protista together with their multicellular descendants.
More example sentences
- This section covers almost exclusively single-celled forms, i.e. the Protista or Protoctista.
- He says there are twenty or more kingdoms hidden in the Protoctista gloss.
- More example sentences
- Most nations of the world do not have complete inventories of their flora and fauna, let alone their fungi, protoctists, and prokaryotes (microorganisms).
- In recent years, eukaryotes have been broken down into four kingdoms: animals, plants, fungi, and protists or protoctists.
- Those who study protoctists, nucleated microorganisms and their immediate descendants exclusive of animals, plants and fungi, are disenfranchised.
modern Latin (plural), based on Greek prōtos 'first'.
More definitions of ProtoctistaDefinition of Protoctista in:
- The US English dictionary