(also Ptolemaic theory)
nounAstronomy , • historical
- The theory that the earth is the stationary centre of the universe, with the planets moving in epicyclic orbits within surrounding concentric spheres. Compare with Copernican system.More example sentences
- For many centuries, astronomers embraced the Ptolemaic theory: the Sun revolves around Earth.
- The Ptolemaic theory of all the planets encircling the earth could now be disproved once and for all.
- Suppose I decide that I believe the Ptolemaic system is more plausible than the Copernican system.
More definitions of Ptolemaic systemDefinition of Ptolemaic system in:
- The US English dictionary