Definition of Punjabi in English:
noun (plural Punjabis)
1A native or inhabitant of Punjab.
- Even racial and ethnic subgroups divide along rigid lines - as with Sikhs or Hindus or Punjabis among the large Indian American community, or by class or immigrant status.
- Significantly, half of the one lakh Indians here are Punjabis, comprising 35,000 Sikhs.
- In spite of their common cultural heritage, Punjabis are now either Indians or Pakistanis by nationality.
2 [mass noun] The Indic language of Punjab, spoken by over 92 million people.
- The charity has staff who can speak various languages including Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Gujarati and Chinese.
- Pupil Rida Munir, six, yesterday proudly told of how she could speak three languages, Punjabi, Urdu and English.
- An additional 439,239 people reported speaking other Indic languages, such as Punjabi, Bengali and Malayalam.
3 (punjabi) A long kurta (loose collarless shirt).
- The better-educated wear a collarless, tunic-length shirt known as a punjabi and pyjamas (loose cotton trousers).
- Village men usually go shirtless but on occasion may put on a vest or a long shirt called a punjabi as an upper garment.
- In India this is generally not acceptable as jeans are too tight; women must wear the traditional sari or salwaar kameeze / punjabi suit.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Punjab or its people or language.
- The Glasgow Gender Clinic has specifically targeted its marketing at Scottish Asians with ads in the Punjabi language paper Des Prades promising couples an 80% chance of having a son.
- A University of British Columbia instructor is embarking on an ambitious campaign to elevate the status of the Punjabi language within Canada.
- She has now been able to introduce the Punjabi language from Class V onwards as part of the curriculum in Lahore Grammar School.
Definition of Punjabi in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India