- old-fashioned term for American Indian.More example sentences
- Well, it seems that when those ships returned to Ireland a number of Native Americans, or Red Indians as they're more properly known, stowed away on board.
- It is supposed to be about the contribution Red Indians - sorry, Native Americans - made during the conflict in the Pacific.
- Red Indian outfits are best worn by Red Indians.
The term Red Indian, first recorded in the early 19th century, has largely fallen out of use, associated as it is with stereotypes of cowboys and Indians and the Wild West, and today may cause offence. The normal terms in modern use are American Indian and Native American or, if appropriate, the name of the specific people (Cherokee, Iroquois, and so on).
More definitions of Red IndianDefinition of Red Indian in:
- The US English dictionary