- (In the UK) the Sunday nearest 11 November, when those who were killed in the First and Second World Wars and later conflicts are commemorated. Also called Poppy Day.More example sentences
- Meanwhile, three of the handful of surviving World War I veterans led the Remembrance Sunday march-past at the Cenotaph in London - and two of them were Navy men.
- On Remembrance Sunday, the congregation stands, heads bowed, while the names are read out.
- Unlike the conventional Remembrance Sunday services, however, the event is intended to be a celebration, showing gratitude to those who lived through the war years, as well as hope for peace in the future.
More definitions of Remembrance SundayDefinition of Remembrance Sunday in:
- The US English dictionary