Definition of Rhenish in English:
Of the Rhine and the regions adjoining it.
- Often in a palette of blue, red, black and white, these kaleidoscopic paintings have been related to the intricate stained-glass windows of Rhenish cathedrals.
- Catholic liberals, meanwhile, such as the Rhenish bourgeois, found themselves expected to choose between their liberalism and their Catholicism.
- Hence, Viking graves often contain Arab silver, Byzantine silks, Frankish weapons, Rhenish glass, and other products of an extensive trade.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
Wine from the Rhine region.
- Marcellus mistakes the trumpet blare that ‘brays out’ Claudius' draining of his draught of Rhenish for the striking of midnight.
- At meals she may be indulged with half a pint of old, clear London porter, or a glass of Rhenish wine.
- He is said to have died of a surfeit of Rhenish wine and pickled herrings, though it may more likely have been plague, of which there was a severe outbreak in 1592.
Words that rhyme with Rhenishreplenish
Definition of Rhenish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan