Definition of Ricardian in English:
2Relating to the political economist David Ricardo.
- The two countries produce different goods and then trade according to Ricardian principles of comparative advantage.
- Piero Sraffa, editor of the definitive edition of Ricardo's works, is responsible for the socalled ‘com model’ view of Ricardian economics.
- Harris, in turn, argued that the Ricardian view was obviously incorrect because, if the best land had been settled first, the lush Amazon basin would have been settled before most other parts of the world.
nounBack to top
1A contemporary or supporter of Richard III.
- The danger from such ‘Ricardians ' led to Richard's own mysterious death in Pontefract Castle soon afterwards.
- An even more striking case was that of Maud Ufford, the dowager Countess of Oxford, a devoted Ricardian who orchestrated opposition to Henry IV in Essex in 1403-4.
- Who better to whet the biographical appetite than the Shakespearean villain metamorphosed as hero by devoted ‘Ricardians’?
2An adherent of the theories of David Ricardo.
- Say's ‘Law’, by contrast with the use made of it by British Ricardians, was intended to combat fears of ‘general gluts’ by the introduction of specific ranks and manners.
- Alien claims Tuckett as a Ricardian because he says ‘there can be no doubt that the difference between the produce and the expenses must, in the end, regulate the rent that a farmer can afford to pay’.
- Example sentences
- As historian Barry Gordon has pointed out, there is a lively opposition to Say's Law and the rule of Ricardianism in the economic press throughout the early and mid-nineteenth century.
- As Hilton points out, the posing of this question marks the end merely of the sway of Ricardianism in such technical economic questions as value, rent, and wages.
Definition of Ricardian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia