- A grey dolphin which has a rounded snout with no beak, and long black flippers, living mainly in temperate seas. Also called grampus.
More example sentences
- Grampus griseus, family Delphinidae
- The area is home to bottlenose dolphins, Risso's dolphins and false killer whales, Ting said, adding, ‘sometimes rare sperm whales and humpback whales are also seen.’
- Another large grey species, the Risso's dolphin, is seen occasionally off the Welsh coast and more commonly off Scotland.
- And a Risso's dolphin, a stout-bodied species without a pronounced beak, is regularly sighted off the Welsh coast.
late 19th century: named after Giovanni A. Risso (1777–1845), Italian naturalist.
More definitions of Risso's dolphinDefinition of Risso's dolphin in:
- The US English dictionary