Definition of Romanian in English:
Relating to Romania or its people or language.
- Your first language is the Romanian language, is that correct?
- According to one Rumanian folk-tale, Noah was assisted in his vineyard by the Devil who cuts the throats of three sacrificial animals and lets their blood drip over the plants: first a goat, then a lion and lastly a pig.
- An influential figure in the world of child and adolescent psychiatry, his work has looked into such subjects as resilience in relation to stress and the effects of deprivation on Romanian orphan adoptees.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Romania, or a person of Romanian descent.
- With the help of Russia, which defeated the Turks, the Romanians were given more freedom and granted a new constitution in 1829.
- It is settled by Serbs and other Slavs, plus large numbers of Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks, and Ruthenians, each speaking and reading in their own tongue.
- After only one full academic year, the school's enrollment had grown to sixty-one with the addition of Czechoslovakians, Romanians, and Italians.
2 [mass noun] The language of Romania, a Romance language influenced by the neighbouring Slavic languages. It is spoken by over 23 million people in Romania itself and by the majority of the population of Moldova.
- The official language of Moldova is Romanian (with a Moldavian dialect), and the second language is Russian.
- Although it was influenced linguistically by invaders and neighbours (Turks and Greeks), Romanian is a Romance language, with obvious implications for the character of its folk music.
- Readers who have studied Romance languages other than Romanian will be able to see from the above that there are tantalising similarities between the language and, say, Spanish.
Words that rhyme with RomanianAlbanian, Azanian, Iranian, Jordanian, Lithuanian, Mauritanian, Mediterranean, Panamanian, Pennsylvanian, Pomeranian, Ruritanian, Sassanian, subterranean, Tasmanian, Transylvanian, Tripolitanian, Turanian, Ukrainian, Vulcanian
Definition of Romanian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan