Definition of Rosicrucian in English:
1A member of a secretive 17th- and 18th-century society devoted to the study of metaphysical, mystical, and alchemical lore. An anonymous pamphlet of 1614 about a mythical 15th-century knight called Christian Rosenkreuz is said to have launched the movement.
- In the tradition of the Alchemists, Kabbalists, Rosicrucians, and mystics of the Enlightenment era, he drew from a number of theological and occult writings to fashion his genealogy.
- It suggests further that all those secret societies like the Knights Templar and the Rosicrucians and the Free Masons were formed to protect the Holy Grail!
- He was a Rosicrucian, a brotherhood combining elements of mystical beliefs with an optimism about the ability of science to improve the human condition.
1.1A member of any of a number of later organizations deriving from the Rosicrucian society.
- She had some mail order pamphlets from the Rosicrucians containing instructions for various psychic exercises.
- Christians have Rosicrucians and Freemasons which are pretty much accepted amongst average Church-goers, and not looked upon as heretics.
- The best known Gnostic sects of the modern world are probably the Rosicrucians, the Scientologists and whatever is left of the old Freemasons.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Rosicrucians.
- They built a tabernacle on the site, with an architectural plan determined by Rosicrucian numerology.
- He made a major impression on Descartes with both his scientific and Rosicrucian beliefs and influenced his thinking.
- Another offshoot of the Rosicrucian fraternity, the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, left manuscripts describing the Ritual of Invisibility.
- Example sentences
- Next we look at Rosicrucianism, which started in Europe in the fifteenth century.
- Hermetic magic is syncretic and includes elements of early Egyptian, Greek and Hebrew occultism, neo-Platonism, agnosticism, kabala, alchemy and Rosicrucianism.
- He looked beyond Lull for a master method, flirting for a time with Rosicrucianism, which was rumoured to be a source of some kind of synoptic understanding.
Words that rhyme with Rosicrucianablution, absolution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, Confucian, constitution, contribution, convolution, counter-revolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, retribution, solution, substitution, volution
Definition of Rosicrucian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia