Definition of Rosicrucian in English:
1A member of a secretive 17th- and 18th-century society devoted to the study of metaphysical, mystical, and alchemical lore. An anonymous pamphlet of 1614 about a mythical 15th-century knight called Christian Rosenkreuz is said to have launched the movement.
- In the tradition of the Alchemists, Kabbalists, Rosicrucians, and mystics of the Enlightenment era, he drew from a number of theological and occult writings to fashion his genealogy.
- It suggests further that all those secret societies like the Knights Templar and the Rosicrucians and the Free Masons were formed to protect the Holy Grail!
- He was a Rosicrucian, a brotherhood combining elements of mystical beliefs with an optimism about the ability of science to improve the human condition.
1.1A member of any of a number of later organizations deriving from the Rosicrucian society.
- She had some mail order pamphlets from the Rosicrucians containing instructions for various psychic exercises.
- Christians have Rosicrucians and Freemasons which are pretty much accepted amongst average Church-goers, and not looked upon as heretics.
- The best known Gnostic sects of the modern world are probably the Rosicrucians, the Scientologists and whatever is left of the old Freemasons.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Rosicrucians.
- They built a tabernacle on the site, with an architectural plan determined by Rosicrucian numerology.
- He made a major impression on Descartes with both his scientific and Rosicrucian beliefs and influenced his thinking.
- Another offshoot of the Rosicrucian fraternity, the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, left manuscripts describing the Ritual of Invisibility.
- Example sentences
- Next we look at Rosicrucianism, which started in Europe in the fifteenth century.
- Hermetic magic is syncretic and includes elements of early Egyptian, Greek and Hebrew occultism, neo-Platonism, agnosticism, kabala, alchemy and Rosicrucianism.
- He looked beyond Lull for a master method, flirting for a time with Rosicrucianism, which was rumoured to be a source of some kind of synoptic understanding.
Words that rhyme with Rosicrucianablution, absolution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, Confucian, constitution, contribution, convolution, counter-revolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, retribution, solution, substitution, volution
Definition of Rosicrucian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.