Definition of Russian roulette in English:
1The practice of loading a bullet into one chamber of a revolver, spinning the cylinder, and then pulling the trigger while pointing the gun at one’s own head.
- Unfortunately, not playing ball on trade agreements is like playing Russian roulette with a bullet in every chamber.
- This is the nautical equivalent of playing Russian roulette with three chambers loaded.
- Doctors will argue it's a game of Russian roulette and the next one may be the bullet, or that some people simply have good genes that will eventually catch up with them.
1.1An activity that is potentially very dangerous: we can’t afford to play Russian Roulette with our existing antibiotics
More example sentences
- It is vital that schoolchildren are shown that glue sniffing is not just an innocent pastime, but a game of Russian roulette.
- Pandering to the seniors is something of a political game of Russian roulette: Yes, they vote in high numbers.
- In trying to subdue Afghanistan, the Soviets may well be playing a game of Russian roulette.
Definition of Russian roulette in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan