Definition of SWAT team in English:
1(In the US) a group of elite police marksmen who specialize in high-risk tasks such as hostage rescue.
- It was later revealed that the attack was carried out by six members of the Cincinnati Police Department's elite SWAT team and an Ohio state trooper.
- A few police officers in SWAT team uniforms quickly enter the base along with Detective Worfle.
- Originally a boot-string entity within the Los Angeles Police Department, the SWAT team consisted of officers who furnished much of their own equipment, including their own weapons.
1.1Any group of specialists brought in to solve a difficult or urgent problem.
- This made the SWAT team's job very difficult indeed.
- RFI brings in a SWAT team of top-flight engineers to work side by side with its partner companies, helping them cut time to market.
- Former Oakmont superintendent Mark Kuhns assembled a SWAT team of 12 workers assigned to different tasks, with headlights showing the way.
1980s: acronym from Special Weapons and Tactics.
Definition of SWAT team in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan