- 1(In the US) a group of elite police marksmen who specialize in high-risk tasks such as hostage rescue.More example sentences
- It was later revealed that the attack was carried out by six members of the Cincinnati Police Department's elite SWAT team and an Ohio state trooper.
- A few police officers in SWAT team uniforms quickly enter the base along with Detective Worfle.
- Originally a boot-string entity within the Los Angeles Police Department, the SWAT team consisted of officers who furnished much of their own equipment, including their own weapons.
- 1.1Any group of specialists brought in to solve a difficult or urgent problem.More example sentences
- This made the SWAT team's job very difficult indeed.
- RFI brings in a SWAT team of top-flight engineers to work side by side with its partner companies, helping them cut time to market.
- Former Oakmont superintendent Mark Kuhns assembled a SWAT team of 12 workers assigned to different tasks, with headlights showing the way.
1980s: acronym from Special Weapons and Tactics.
More definitions of SWAT teamDefinition of SWAT team in:
- The US English dictionary