Definition of Sadducee in English:
A member of a Jewish sect or party of the time of Christ that denied the resurrection of the dead, the existence of spirits, and the obligation of oral tradition, emphasizing acceptance of the written Law alone. Compare with Pharisee.
- The various sects that developed - such as the Sadducees and the Karaites - questioned the oral tradition or rabbinic law, but never the Divine origin of the Torah.
- In Part 28, we discussed the rift between the Pharisees (the mainstream Jews) and the Sadducees (the Jews who only followed the Written Torah, making up their own interpretations).
- The alliance of the Hellenists and the Sadducees against traditional Judaism guaranteed constant turmoil in Jewish life throughout the time of the Second Temple and even thereafter.
- Example sentences
- Henceforth the powerful priesthood and the Sadducean nobility of Jerusalem, heavily involved financially in the temple, join as Jesus mortal enemies.
- The writer was very Sadducean and nationalistic; he selected personalities to feature according to his own ideas.
- The Sadducean rejection of belief in bodily resurrection and in reward in a life to come is not surprising, for these beliefs arose only in the two centuries or so before the time of Jesus.
Definition of Sadducee in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan