(also the Sahara)
- A vast desert in North Africa, extending from the Atlantic in the west to the Red Sea in the east, and from the Mediterranean and the Atlas Mountains in the north to the Sahel in the south. The largest desert in the world, it covers an area of about 9,065,000 sq. km (3,500,000 sq. miles). In recent years it has been extending southwards into the Sahel.
- More example sentences
- There are pressures to get the Saharan issue out of the way.
- I don't want to burst anybody's bubble, but the reason the Polisario tried to separate the West Saharan territories from Morocco was that Morocco annexed them forcibly.
- Touaregs, or the Kel Tamashek (people who speak Tamashek), are the nomadic tribe of the Saharan desert, scattered among Algeria, Mali and Niger.
Sahara from Arabic ṣaḥrā‘ 'desert'.
More definitions of Sahara DesertDefinition of Sahara Desert in:
- The US English dictionary