Definition of Saiva in English:
A member of one of the main branches of modern Hinduism, devoted to the worship of the god Shiva as the supreme being. Compare with Vaishnava.
- The three-hour conference is especially significant because it honors sadhus of both the Saiva and Vaishnava akharas.
- You have been tried and tested through years of training and challenges and proved yourself worthy to wear the kavi, the orange robes, and to fulfill the illustrious Saiva sannyasa dharma.
- My initiated devotees perform the Saiva âtmârtha pûjâ, but only in home shrines, not in temples.
From Sanskrit śaiva 'sacred to Shiva'.
Saivite noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Balinese Hinduism is Saivite and Buddhist tantric based.
- Even upon the dawn of the day walk into your destiny with the courage born of knowing that the ancient Saivite scriptures proclaim your sannyasin's life great above all other greatness.
- He corresponded with René Guénon about the philosophic and religious approaches of Saivite Hinduism.
Definition of Saiva in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan