Definition of Salish in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a group of American Indian peoples inhabiting areas of the north-western US and the west coast of Canada.
- Coast Salish appreciated the danger of overfishing, moreover, and adopted conservation measures such as leaving gaps in weirs, opening traps periodically and setting nets only after the ‘first run’ of salmon had passed.
- ‘Old Toby,’ their Shoshone guide, led them through the Bitterroot Valley, the ancestral homeland of the Salish, to Lolo Creek, where they spent several days preparing for the most arduous part of their journey.
- Indians came to talk about peace between the Salish and Kootenai and their enemies, the Blackfeet, not about land cessions or a treaty with the United States, because they saw no reason to ‘treat with friends’.
2 [mass noun] The group of related languages spoken by the Salish, now all extinct or nearly so.
- And sometimes the elders I work with, who are all native speakers of English as well as Salish, see connections between English and Salish that strike me as doubtful.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Salish or their languages.
- Thus he prohibits her learning of the Salish language and does not send her to the boarding school with the other children of the tribe.
- North of the Canadian boundary, Kootenai and Salish people used Kootenai Pass and South Kootenay Pass, accessed by the Grave Creek Trail that was the principal ‘buffalo trail’ from the Tobacco Plains.
- This event brought together the whole of the Blackfeet Confederation, including the Canadian element, in addition to members of the Crow, Salish, Sioux, and Nez Perce tribes.
- Example sentences
- I was explaining words for ‘snow’ in Montana Salish (a Salishan language spoken in Montana… as the name suggests).
- The Salishan and Wakashan languages are the favorite candidates for languages lacking the noun/verb contrast, but there have been several other proposals.
- According to Kinkade, at least six or seven out of the twenty-three Salishan languages utilize a special affix to indicate what he calls third-person topic objects.
A local name, literally 'Flatheads'.
Words that rhyme with Salishpalish
Definition of Salish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.