nounMedicine , • historical
- another term for arsphenamine.More example sentences
- In 1909 he discovered the drug Salvarsan, an arsenical compound that was the first effective drug against the organism that causes syphilis, and he used the word ‘chemotherapy’ to indicate the use of such drugs.
- In 1910, with his Japanese colleague Sahachiro Hata, he developed arsphenamine, a synthetic preparation containing arsenic, which sold under the name of Salvarsan.
- I would be surprised if a drug as effective as Salvarsan, which cured many, were in clinical use as quickly, but not surprised if it shared Salvarsan's defects - substantial side effects and expense.
early 20th century: from German, from Latin salvare 'save' + German Arsenik 'arsenic' + -an.
More definitions of SalvarsanDefinition of Salvarsan in:
- The US English dictionary