- The first day of November, celebrated by the ancient Celts as a festival marking the beginning of winter.More example sentences
- The ancient Celtic festival of Samhain was celebrated in style last week in West Kerry when the Díseart Institute of Education and Celtic Culture held a special event to mark what was once the traditional welcoming of the New Year.
- The origins of Halloween date back over 2,000 years to the ancient indigenous Celtic festival of Samhain, the beginning of the Celtic New Year on November 1.
- Hallowe'en originates from the ancient Celtic festival, Samhain, which marks the end of summer and harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter associated with death and the return of spirits to Earth.
Irish, from Old Irish samain.
More definitions of SamhainDefinition of Samhain in:
- The US English dictionary