Scottish & Irish , derogatory
Definition of Sassenach in English:
An English person.
- I think a complete break-up of the union would be foolish for all of us, Sassenachs and Scots alike.
- Imagine the same holding true for the Scottish parliament, which has a fair contingent of Sassenachs.
- With only some 15,000 players aged between eight and 18 to England's quarter of a million, Scotland do not have the kind of conveyor belt that the Sassenachs so often enjoy.
adjectiveBack to top
- It leaves the typical member of the Glasgow professional class with a distinct but wholly comprehensible (to Sassenach ears) Scottish accent.
- The media community is reluctant to admit that Sassenach papers could overtake the homegrown product.
- Indeed, at one point, with only six men, they drove the eight-strong Sassenach pack back with a splendidly concerted shove.
Definition of Sassenach in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India