(also Sauvignon Blanc)
Definition of Sauvignon in English:
1A variety of white wine grape.
- The rustic Pais vine variety dominates plantings, especially in the rain-fed areas, although Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon, and Merlot are also important.
- Increasing plantings here have made it our fourth most planted white after Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Riesling.
- One of the few examples of a Chardonnay / Sauvignon blend, this is one of my favourite quaffing whites at the moment, combining peachy Chardonnay ripeness with Sauvignon's gooseberry austerity.
1.1A white wine made from the Sauvignon grape.
- Australia is not as well known for its Sauvignons as New Zealand, but some of the wines coming out of Western Australia are outstanding.
- Some age their Sauvignons in new oak, disguising it as a sort of poor man's Chardonnay.
- Throw in some increasingly good Sauvignons from South Africa, Chile, Australia and Hungary and you have a much more diverse and interesting picture than you had even five years ago.
Words that rhyme with SauvignonAvignon • Semillon
Definition of Sauvignon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia