Definition of Semitic in English:
1Relating to or denoting a family of languages that includes Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic and certain ancient languages such as Phoenician and Akkadian, constituting the main subgroup of the Afro-Asiatic family.
- Aramaic belongs to the Semitic language group historically centred in the Middle East.
- Diligently, he traces each letter from the ancient Semitic and Phoenician alphabets through Old English and Norman French, exploring shapes and pronunciation.
- Arabic derives from the ancient Semitic languages.
2Relating to the peoples who speak Semitic languages, especially Hebrew and Arabic.
- Some are ethnically Arab, which means that they are Semitic, and speak Arabic.
- The Semitic mind speaks in terms of beings, beings that embody good and evil.
- Aramaic was the language of Semitic peoples - the Assyrians, Chaldeans, Hebrews and Syrians.
Words that rhyme with Semiticanalytic, anchoritic, anthracitic, arthritic, bauxitic, calcitic, catalytic, critic, cryptanalytic, Cushitic, dendritic, diacritic, dioritic, dolomitic, enclitic, eremitic, hermitic, lignitic, mephitic, paralytic, parasitic, psychoanalytic, pyritic, Sanskritic, saprophytic, sybaritic, syenitic, syphilitic, troglodytic
Definition of Semitic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.