- A galaxy of a type characterized by a bright compact core that shows strong infrared emission.More example sentences
- Examples of groups consisting of a bright galaxy plus Seyfert galaxies and quasars in lines suggest a hierarchy of paired ejections; some of these are particularly impressive and are analysed to yield ejection velocities.
- The lines tend to be broader, indicating more rapid motions, if Seyfert galaxies are viewed nearly face-on.
- Another impressive observation is that many of these close associations occur along lines, sometimes on either side of a special galaxy, such as a Seyfert galaxy.
named after Carl K. Seyfert (1911–60), American astronomer.
More definitions of Seyfert galaxyDefinition of Seyfert galaxy in:
- The US English dictionary