Definition of Shangaan in English:
noun (plural same or Shangaans)
1A member of the Tsonga people of southern Africa.
- Their clients are mainly taxi drivers and marshals, mostly migrant Shangaans from Mozambique who relish food from their homeland.
- Only the Tsonga / Shangaan, however, have continued their beadwork traditions to the present day.
- Others are labelled Tsonga / Shangaan or even Ndau / Shangaan, and could be from Zimbabwe or South Africa.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Shangaan or their language.
- Led by Pedi and Shangaan workers, the strike had wide support - a figure of 71,000, or one-third of the total, is often quoted.
- ‘Moving into Dance will present an Afro-fusion choreographed performance, while music will be provided by a variety of performers, including pantsula and Shangaan dancers,’ the statement said.
- Choreographed by Dumsani Thusi, it incorporates Shangaan dance and includes live drummers.
Probably named after the founding chief Soshangane.
Definition of Shangaan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.