Definition of Shangaan in English:
noun (plural same or Shangaans)
1A member of the Tsonga people of southern Africa.
- Their clients are mainly taxi drivers and marshals, mostly migrant Shangaans from Mozambique who relish food from their homeland.
- Only the Tsonga / Shangaan, however, have continued their beadwork traditions to the present day.
- Others are labelled Tsonga / Shangaan or even Ndau / Shangaan, and could be from Zimbabwe or South Africa.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Shangaan or their language.
- Led by Pedi and Shangaan workers, the strike had wide support - a figure of 71,000, or one-third of the total, is often quoted.
- ‘Moving into Dance will present an Afro-fusion choreographed performance, while music will be provided by a variety of performers, including pantsula and Shangaan dancers,’ the statement said.
- Choreographed by Dumsani Thusi, it incorporates Shangaan dance and includes live drummers.
probably named after the founding chief Soshangane.
Definition of Shangaan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan