Definition of Shango in English:
1A religious cult originating in western Nigeria and now practised chiefly in parts of the Caribbean.
- Still, a small number of people (nine percent) follow the African-centered religions of Shango, Rada, Spiritual Baptist, Obeah, and Rastafari.
- Trinidadian Shango, which is part of the legacy of African traditional culture and religion, incorporates a mixture of Catholic rituals and elements of African spiritual beliefs.
1.1 (also Shangor) An African god of thunder significant to the Shango cult.
- At Botanica Papa Chango (named after the African Yoruba spirit-god Shango, God of Fire, Thunder, Lightning and Passions), no azogue is to be had.
- Each Orisha has its own character dance - the ferocious stomp of Shango the god of thunder; the sensuous, watery sway of Oshun, the divinity of love - and Acosta includes some of these dances in Tocororo.
- Some of his carved doors are remarkably similar to Yoruba panel doors in present-day Nigeria, and his carved tree stumps resemble Yoruba divination pieces to the deity Shango.
Definition of Shango in:
- US English dictionary