- A major Jewish festival held on the 6th (and usually the 7th) of Sivan, fifty days after the second day of Passover. It was originally a harvest festival, but now also commemorates the giving of the Law (the Torah). Also called Pentecost, Feast of Weeks.More example sentences
- Every holiday has a particular theme or themes - Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are times of introspection and moral judgment, Sukkot reflects nature and its bounty, Passover commemorates freedom, Shavuot sacralizes Torah.
- On Shavuot, the Torah waits to be received by anyone who truly desires to receive it.
- On the three big festivals - Passover, Shavuot and Succot - the people continue to stream to Jerusalem.
from Hebrew šāḇū‘ōṯ 'weeks', with reference to the weeks between Passover and Pentecost.
More definitions of ShavuothDefinition of Shavuoth in:
- The US English dictionary