Definition of Sherlock in English:
A person who investigates mysteries or shows great perceptiveness: it doesn’t take a Sherlock to figure out that she’s lying to me
More example sentences
- For example, jokes are remarkably unreliable laugh-getters, especially among North Americans, who were least likely to find jokes funny, according to the humor Sherlocks in Britain.
- One of the Sherlocks wrote, asking whether his solution was correct, and if he would have gained entry, and I responded.
Early 20th century: from Sherlock Holmes (see Holmes, Sherlock).
Sherlockian noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- But the great service that Klinger and the sharp-sighted Sherlockians whose work he draws on perform is to bring to light the astonishing carelessness with which the Holmes stories were written.
- I'm not sure that the true Sherlockian will want the new novel to reveal too much.
- In Sherlockian parlance, we could call this The Curious Case of the Forgotten Corpse.
Definition of Sherlock in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan