noun (plural same or Sherpas)
- 1A member of a Himalayan people living on the borders of Nepal and Tibet, renowned for their skill in mountaineering.More example sentences
- Often inseparable from their association with world-class mountaineering, the Sherpas of Nepal inhabit much of the Solu-Khumbu or Khumbu regions of the Himalayas.
- Unlike Americans or Europeans, Himalayan Sherpas consider high-altitude climbing to be decidedly unglamorous, dangerous, dirty work.
- Until recently, Nepal's legendary Sherpas, who play a pivotal role in almost every ascent of Himalayan peaks, just watched from the sidelines as accomplished climbers from the West minted money with guided tours up Everest.
from Tibetan sharpa 'inhabitant of an Eastern country'.
More definitions of SherpaDefinition of Sherpa in:
- The US English dictionary