noun (plural same)
- 1(In Japan) a railway system carrying high-speed passenger trains: Shinkansen was generally welcomed by the public [count noun]: Tanaka built a Shinkansen from Tokyo to the Sea of JapanMore example sentences
- He said the Japanese proposed using the Nozomi-700-type vehicle used in Japan's Shinkansen bullet train system, but did not disclose any price offered by the Japanese.
- Past profiled engineering marvels include the world's longest suspension bridge, the Akashi Strait Bridge, and the Shinkansen, Japan's famous high-speed train.
- The high-speed train used on the Shinkansen, ‘new main line’, is leaving Japan this week for a 10,000-mile sea journey to Southampton.
- 1.1A train operating on the Shinkansen railway system: Shinkansen are fast, regular, and reliable the campus is located northwest of Tokyo, 1 hour and 40 minutes by ShinkansenMore example sentences
- On June 1, the group will travel on the famous Japanese bullet train - the Shinkansen - to Niigata for Ireland's game against Cameroon.
- If going by train, first go to the JR Himeji station, which is serviced by the Shinkansen (bullet train) from most major cities on Honsha.
- I hopped on the Shinkansen or bullet train, bound for Nagoya.
Japanese, from shin 'new' + kansen 'main line'.
More definitions of ShinkansenDefinition of Shinkansen in:
- The US English dictionary