- Relating to or denoting a large language family of eastern Asia which includes Chinese, Burmese, Tibetan, and (in some classifications) Thai. They are tonal languages, but the exact relationships between them are far from clear.More example sentences
- A member of the Sino-Tibetan family of languages, Thai is one of the oldest languages in East or Southeast Asia.
- The Tibetan language belongs to the Sino-Tibetan family.
- Zhuang belongs to the Sino-Tibetan language family.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- The Sino-Tibetan language family.More example sentences
- Balti, spoken in the extreme Northeast, belongs to the Sino-Tibetan, rather than the Indo-European, language family.
More definitions of Sino-TibetanDefinition of Sino-Tibetan in:
- The US English dictionary