(also Sitka spruce)
A fast-growing North American spruce tree, widely cultivated for its strong lightweight timber.
- Picea sitchensis, family Pinaceae
More example sentences
- The forests of the Pacific Northwest and northern California are known for giant ancient trees such as Sitka spruce and sequoia (redwoods).
- The Octopus Tree, an ancient Sitka spruce with massive branches that rise up around a low central trunk like the arms of a candelabra, is a five-minute walk from the parking lot.
- Forests of mostly Sitka and Norway spruce are felled.
late 19th century: named after Sitka, a town in Alaska.
Definition of Sitka in:
- The US English dictionary