(also slave state)
- Any of the Southern states of the US in which slavery was legal before the Civil War.More example sentences
- ‘We are in favor of making Kansas a ‘Slave State’ if it should require half of the citizens of Missouri, musket in hand, to emigrate there,’ declared the Liberty Democratic Platform.
- The publication in 1862 of Charles Ingersoll's pro-Southern pamphlet, ‘Letter to a Friend in a Slave State,’ marked the end of the elite dissenters' restraint.
- The Red States were Slave Importing States, and the Pink States Were Slave States that Exported Slaves.
More definitions of Slave StateDefinition of Slave State in:
- The US English dictionary