- A North Eurasian and North American grebe with reddish underparts and a black and gold crest.
More example sentences
- Podiceps auritus, family Podicipedidae
- Podiceps auritus; the Slavonian grebe is the only grebe-species breeding on Iceland.
- The sighting of the week was undoubtedly, for a change, a rarity, as I went along to Loch Ruthven to see if the Slavonian grebes were back again.
- This is compatible with the Slavonian grebes and there is also a code of conduct for anglers which amongst other things asks them to keep clear of the sedge beds.
Slavonian from medieval Latin S(c)lavonia 'country of the Slavs'.