- 1A country consisting of a group of islands in the SW Pacific, to the east of New Guinea; population 595,600 (est. 2009); languages, English (official), Pidgin, local Austronesian and Papuan languages; capital, Honiara.
The islands were divided between Britain and Germany in the late 19th century; the southern islands became a British protectorate in 1893 while the north remained German until mandated to Australia in 1920. With the exception of the northern part of the chain (now part of Papua New Guinea), the Solomons became self-governing in 1976 and fully independent within the Commonwealth two years later
- More example sentences
- And what gives a Solomon Islander his black-verging-on-purple skin?
- Australia provides scholarships for Solomon Islanders to gain qualifications in a range of fields.
- The government holds the key to uniting the Solomon Islanders in the struggle for their resources.
More definitions of Solomon IslandsDefinition of Solomon Islands in:
- The US English dictionary