- Relating to the Sorbs or their language.More example sentences
- Many Sorbian graduates of Wittenberg later evangelized among the Slovaks because their languages were so similar.
- Over the course of centuries, Sorbian population was often decimated (almost half of the population died during the Thirty Years War), and Sorbs came to be discriminated against in many ways.
- The 500 or so Sorbian immigrants who arrived in Galveston, Texas, in 1854 were primarily bilingual, speaking German and Wendish, and called themselves German Wends.
nounBack to top
- The traditional language of the Sorbs, a Slavic language related to Polish and Czech. It has been revived from near extinction and has around 70,000 speakers. Also called Wendish or Lusatian.More example sentences
- The surprise is all the more mysterious because the poetry that he wrote is not available in English; the five-volume critical edition of his works being published is in his native Sorbian.
- These include Faroese, Modern Hebrew, Irish, Upper Sorbian, Urdu, and Welsh.
- Ladin and Sorbian (not Serbian) are alive and well in Germany.
More definitions of SorbianDefinition of Sorbian in:
- The US English dictionary