Definition of Sotho in English:
noun (plural same or Sothos)
1A member of a group of peoples living chiefly in Botswana, Lesotho, and northern South Africa.
- According to 1995 estimates, there were about 5.6 million people who identified themselves as southern or northern Sotho in South Africa.
- The Sothos' worship of Modimo is mingled with ancestor worship, and indeed ancestors play a significant part in most traditional black African faiths.
- About three-quarters of the clan groups are Nguni; the remainder are Sotho and Tsonga.
2 [mass noun] The group of Bantu languages spoken by the Sotho peoples, of which the most important are Sepedi (also called Northern Sotho) and Sesotho (also called Southern Sotho). The term Western Sotho is sometimes used of the related language Setswana. Sepedi and Sesotho are official languages of South Africa.
- Sesotho, or Southern Sotho, is spoken in Lesotho as well as in parts of South Africa.
- In the new South Africa, television broadcasts can be heard in the most prevalent languages: English, Sotho, Xhosa, Zulu, and Afrikaans.
- Teaching was often in Cape Dutch, the children spoke a variety of African languages, such as Tswana, Sotho, or Koranna, and the teachers often spoke German.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Sotho peoples or their languages.
- The ancestors of the Sotho people entered the area south of the Limpopo River in several migrations.
- A feature of Sotho kinship was that a person was allowed to marry a cousin who was a member of the same clan.
- The Sotho tradition also includes praise poems and folk tales, one of the most prominent of which is a tale concerning a boy named Santkatana, who saves the world by killing a giant monster.
Words that rhyme with SothoBasotho, Hutu, Lesotho, Mobutu, tutu
Definition of Sotho in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan